Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) Survey
The Commute Trip Reduction program requirements include a biennial employee transportation survey to measure company performance. This survey is usually conducted in the Fall of odd years.
If you’re familiar with the CTR Survey process and tools, here are some quick links.
- Where is the link I send employees?
- Where is my admin access to upload emails or run reports?
- How do I use the survey tool?
- Boilerplate communications to send employees and managers.
- How to use the WSDOT survey tool: Instructions below, or watch our video playlist.
- Survey questions This preview is for your information; not for distribution to employees.
If this is the first time you’ve managed a CTR survey, or you need a reminder, please see the process and resources below.
|1. Schedule your survey here.||
|2. Access the survey tool.||
|3. Communicate with your staff.||
|4. Launch survey on scheduled date.||
|5. Two weeks to complete survey.||
|No less than 50% of employees complete the survey. If less than 50%, your company must re-survey.|
|Survey all CTR-affected or full time day shift employees at the worksite. Very large sites may use the Sampling method.|
|Two methods for employees to access the survey: Email upload or Email domain. If you’re not familiar with these methods, see FAQs below.|
There are two methods for distributing the CTR survey: Online and Paper. For online surveys, the link that you will distribute is https://www.ctrsurvey.org/. Guidance on paper surveys can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.
Online surveys (recommended) are distributed over email by the Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC). This can be you or someone else at your company. Commute Seattle provides you with web resources for distributing and monitoring your online survey.
Paper surveys are available for companies whose employees lack email addresses or require assistance with interpretation. Paper surveys are recorded using scantron technology, thus require additional attention and resources. See the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click a question below to see the answer.
Email upload (recommended): Employees access the survey with their work email. You organize a list of emails using this template.
Domain Access: Employees access the survey with the email domain for your company. Any survey respondent who uses the domain will have access. If you work with Acme Corporation and your email domain is @acmecorp.com, then an employee could access the survey with “email@example.com.” Domain Access is best for ETCs who are not given a list of emails from the IT staff, or employees who do not have email addresses.
Domain Access does not allow you to run a report of non-respondents. You can only see who has completed the survey. Video here.
Uploading emails takes about 2 minutes; watch an instructional video here. Before uploading, you’ll need the email upload template. The template has two columns. In the left column is the email of all employees you will survey. In the right column is the worksite E-code for your company. This code is also your password for accessing the survey.
In the Pre-Survey Form, you schedule a date for sending the survey to tenants and their employees. Two dates are available: April 24th and May 1st, 2018.
Please fill out this form and notify your Commute Seattle CTR representative that you have completed it. It will be reviewed by SDOT. If approved, you will receive a formal letter determining your non-CTR status. If you are no longer CTR-affected, you can still take the survey as a voluntary site. Once non-affected, Commute Seattle may continue contacting you periodically to assess your status.
You receive the results once WSDOT compiles them into reports and SDOT has reviewed the final Drive Alone Rate (DAR). SDOT and Commute Seattle strive to return results within 6 to 8 weeks after the survey cycle has been completed.
Surveys are conducted in the Fall of odd years. However, some sites may need to reschedule their survey for Spring. We find that transit (e.g. bus, light rail) and active transportation (e.g. walking, biking) commutes are at higher rates during these times.
Complete the short Pre-Survey Form, which will provide us information needed to setup your survey. Once we receive this preliminary information, we can set up your survey for employee access.
- Prepare the necessary contact, employee population, survey date preference, survey type (online or paper), and any questions or comments for submission.
- If you have any questions during the process contact your Commute Seattle Transportation Specialist.
- We will do everything we can to accommodate your first choice for survey week, however, our survey start times are dictated by server capacity identified by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). Submitting the pre-survey form early will increase your chances of surveying during your preferred week.
- Offer a gift card raffle for everyone who completes the survey;
- Have highest ranking official or someone in upper management send out the initial survey email/announcement;
- Follow up with staff directly, either targeting those who have not completed the survey or targeting departments who may be notorious at “ignoring” emails;
- Use this sample email language to help with your email survey distribution.
A copy of the CTR Survey questions is available for download. Do not distribute this copy to employees. It is not the survey, but an example of questions that employees answer.
Almost all employers use the online survey. You can test the survey system by following these instructions:
- Go to www.ctrsurvey.org.
- Log in to a test version of the survey with your last name and the email domain “@abc.com”. Any word or last name should suffice, as long as you use the domain “@abc.com”. For example, you could write firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, and you’ll be able to enter the test version of the CTR survey.
- On the next page, select the work site “King County Training”.
- Navigate the questions in the survey. It requires 2-5 minutes.
Schedule your paper survey by filling out the Pre-Survey Form. Commute Seattle will confirm your survey date, and distribute the surveys to you by mail.
The guidelines for administering the survey can be downloaded here. Note that all surveys must be completed with a Number Two pencil and they cannot be bent, creased, or torn. It is your responsibility to keep track of paper surveys and make sure the building gets at least 50% of its surveys completed in Number Two pencil and returned to Commute Seattle before May 25th.
An example of the survey questions can be downloaded in advance here, but this example is not for distribution. The paper surveys that you will distribute will be sent to you by Commute Seattle.
WSDOT has provided copies of translated of the survey. These surveys are not for distribution. The actual survey is only available in English. Translated surveys are strictly for reference.
Companies with over 1,000 employees at their worksite may choose to use the Sampling method to reduce the total number of surveys distributed. This option is only available to companies who make their request through Commute Seattle; SDOT and WSDOT must also approve the request. To use this method, a worksite must comply with the following guidelines:
- The worksite should have at least 1,000 CTR-affected employees. For practical purposes, sampling won’t significantly reduce the impact on a worksite unless that site has several thousand employees.
- The employer must be willing to verify the selection of a random sample. Employees asked to complete the survey must be selected randomly. There are many ways to randomly select survey participants. You can use a free tool such as https://www.random.org/lists/. You can also find a step-by-step guide for using Excel to create a random sample in the detailed Sampling instructions.
- Any employer with multiple worksites must confirm which of these are currently sampling. This is critical to ensuring the survey results are tabulated appropriately in WSDOT’s tool. SDOT will communicate this information to WSDOT and confirm approval to sample.
CTR Survey Sampling Calculator
Number of employees at worksite:
Estimated response rate (%):
Minimum Surveys Required:
Estimated Surveys to Distribute: